I’m loving the reports of the President-elect walking around with a copy of Derek Walcott’s Collected Poems.
I wonder what’s next: Poetry readings in the China Room? Slam in the West Wing? Haiku writing in the Rose Garden?
More facts about Obama (including his status as award-winning spoken word artist!) can be found at Fifty things you might not know about Barack Obama but here are some of the quick literary bits:
• He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics
• He won a Grammy in 2006 for the audio version of his memoir, Dreams From My Father
• He has read every Harry Potter book
• His favourite book is Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
• He and Michelle made $4.2 million (£2.7 million) last year, with much coming from sales of his books
• He repaid his student loan only four years ago after signing his book deal.