Many thanks to Charlie Jane Anders for inviting me to read at the next edition of Writers with Drinks.
Do any of you keep a secret notepad of venues you want to feature at? I do. And Writers with Drinks was one of those places I would visit and say, “One day, I’ll write some stuff fly enough to get me up in here.”
it also happends to be one of those spots that people who are not writers know about. Proof? Peep the Jet Blue write up: Writers with Drinks: One Part Alcohol, One Part Art.
Enough hype, here’s the 411:
Date: Saturday, August 14, 2010, 7:30 to 9:30 PM, doors open at 6:30 PM
What: WRITERS WITH DRINKS
Featuring: Janine Brito, Alice Sola Kim, Justine Sharrock, Monica Nolan and Oscar Bermeo
Location: The Make Out Room, 3225 22nd. St. between Mission and Valencia, San Francisco
Admission: $5 to $10 sliding scale, all proceeds benefit the CSC
About the readers/performers
• Justine Sharrock is the author of Tortured: When Good Soldiers Do Bad
Things. She’s a former staffer with Mother Jones Magazine.
• Alice Sola Kim’s stories have appeared in Asimov’s Science Fiction, StrangeHorizons.com and Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet.
• Oscar Bermeo’s poetry chapbooks include To The Break of Dawn, Heaven Below, Palimpsest and Anywhere Avenue.
• Monica Nolan is the author of Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary and Bobby Blanchard, Lesbian Gym Teacher. Her films include Ashley, 22, Chuckie or Ben-Hur in Five Minutes, World of Women, and Lesbians Who Date Men.
• Janine Brito won the San Francisco Women’s Comedy competition and has performed at the Purple Onion.
About Writers With Drinks
Writers With Drinks has won “Best Literary Night” from the SF Bay Guardian readers’ poll five years in a row and was named “Best Literary Drinking” by the SF Weekly. The spoken word “variety show” mixes genres to raise money for local worthy causes. The award-winning show includes poetry, stand-up comedy, science fiction, fantasy, romance, mystery, literary fiction, erotica, memoir, zines and blogs in a freewheeling format.
Hostess Charlie Jane Anders blogs about science fiction and futurism at io9.com. She won the Emperor Norton Award for “extraordinary invention and creativity unhindered by the constraints of paltry reason.” She’s the author of the Lambda Award-winning Choir Boy (2005 Soft Skull Press) and the co-editor, with Annalee Newitz, of She’s Such A Geek (Seal Press 2007). She also published other magazine, which is on hiatus. Follow her on Twitter as charliejane.